Monday, 3 October 2011

I am not a professional photographer

BUT I'm here to tell you that you don't need to be a professional photographer to know how to edit pictures in a way that will make your post pop and create something interesting to look at.

If there's one thing I learned last week during our blog critiques it's that a lot of bloggers just aren't sure what to do with their photos to make them better.

Allow me...

I own a Canon snap and shoot. It's not fancy. I would LOVE to learn to use an SLR, but until someone decides to hand one over I have to make due with what I have.

Here's an example of a photo I took on the first day of school as the kids bus drove away:

This is straight out of the camera and, as you can see, it's imperfect and boring. My son's head is bobbing in at the bottom of the picture (is he even wearing a shirt??), the bus is far away, and my neighbor and her son are walking home. This is not a photo I would ever put on my blog. There's just nothing memorable about it...but I saw potential.

There are a ton of different editing tools a person could use to fix this, but I like Picnik.com. It's free (unless you pay for a subscription...and I do), it's easy, and it's fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment